Saturday, September 19, 2009

Movement

Some say that God's movement is unpredictable. In any situation, we have no way of knowing how, when or where His movements may be encountered. While I don't know anyone who has God on speed dial and can tell Him to meet them next Sunday morning, I think that scripture shows us that when God tells us to move, we can predict that He will be shown through our actions.
Within the first 12 chapters of the bible, we can see that God called his followers to move. Genesis 12:1 says, "The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you."" The Lord called Abram to go. To where? the Lord says that he WILL show Abram. To me, this means that Abram is pretty much walking blind, however, he trusts that God will lead him. If I were Abram I would have to say why. Why, God, should I leave my home, my family, the place I love? The Lord continues and says that He will bless Abram and make him into a great nation (Genesis 12:2-3). When God tells us He is going to do something, He will do it. If the Creator of heaven and earth, the one who made me, who knows me, who sent his son to die for me, promised that he would bless me if I would only go where he told me, I can't see how I could say no. Abram is faithful; he listened to the Lord and went. Through famine and war, Abram continues to follow the call of God. And what is his reward? In Genesis 15:5 and Genesis 13:16 God tells Abram that He will make Abram's offspring as numerous as the stars and as plentiful as the dust on the earth.
This story of Abram shows us a little about how God moves. He starts with telling us what to do. In Abram's case, he had to leave everything he knew and loved. The next part, and the most difficult, is for us to answer his call with a movement of our own. It takes faith to do anything without knowing exactly what will happen. Luckily, we can put our faith in a God who cares for us and only wants the best for us. God promises that he will bless us because we are doing His work. If we answer God's call, If we move, I believe that's exactly when we can predict that God will move.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Timmons!! So glad to find you in blog world dude. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete